Program on Teaching Microelectronics, IT and Telecommunication subjects at high schools of Armenia
Aiming to bring ICT education to a qualitatively new level in Armenia, in 2015 the pilot program of teaching “Microelectronics”, “Information Technologies”, and “Fundamentals of Telecommunication” subjects was launched in a number of educational institutions of the country.
Ministry of ESCS of RA, Unicomp, Synopsys Armenia, Viva-MTS
It should be noted that this is an unprecedented program in the world practice, which is being implemented firstly in Armenia.
The essence of the program is that the pupils from the participating schools, being included on volunteer basis in the relevant class or classes, pass the subjects “Information Technologies”, “Fundamentals of Telecommunication” and “Microelectronics” as compulsory subjects.
The Goals of the Program are:
- Contribute to the professional orientation of the 10th-12th grade high-school pupils of science and mathematics classes.
- Improve the quality of vocational education in the field of ICT, as well as introduce the methodology of companies based on innovative theoretical and practical knowledge.
- Increase the level of technological readiness of pre-conscription age students.
- Use the ICT as tools for modernization/improvement of education quality, accessibility and content.
- Use technological education as means for mindset development.
- Draw the attention of young people towards the ICT sector as one of the key elements of the economic, scientific and technical developments of the country, and one of the priorities.
- Prepare students for further technical trainings at the universities, and work in knowledge-based branches of the economy.
- Contribute to the significant modernization of university programs, taking into account the higher level of students admitted to universities.
Within the framework of the program, the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Armenia ensures the introduction of the mentioned professional subjects, the development and approval of their standards and curricula, also from 2021 it is planned together with the Ministry to select schools on a competitive basis.
Viva-MTS participated in the process of developing standards of Fundamentals of Telecommunication program and implements trainings for teachers of the subject. In the first year, Viva-MTS also financed the creation of classrooms in the five participating schools.
Synopsys Armenia participates in the creation of standards for Microelectronics subject and program development processes, as well as conducts trainings for teachers of the subject.
Unicomp participates in the development of “Information Technology” program and standards of the subject, implements trainings for teachers of “Information Technology” and “Linux operating system basics” subjects. The company also ensures laboratories and networks.
The Union of Employers of ICT realizes monitoring and supervision of the program, organizes teachers’ training.
The results of 2015-2016 academic year are:
- 9 teachers from 5 participating high schools were trained for the Information Technology program.
- 10 teachers were trained within the “Basics of Linux operating system” curriculum.
- 227 students were successfully trained.
Educational Institutions included in the 2015-2016 academic year
- Yerevan high school of National Polytechnic University of Armenia
- A. Shahinyan school of Physics and Mathematics adjacent to Yerevan State University
- Quantum College
- Photon College (Gyumri)
- Vanadzor special school with advanced teaching of mathematics and natural sciences
The results of 2016-2017 academic year:
- 20 teachers from 10 participating high schools were trained for the Information Technologies program.
- 20 teachers were trained within the Basics of Linux Operating System curriculum.
- 450 pupils successfully passed the course.
Educational Institutions included in 2016-2017 academic year
- Mkhitar Sebastatsi Educational Complex
- High School of Gyumri NPUA
- Usmunk school of Armenian-Russian (Slavonic) University
- №198 high school
- №105 high school